Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Typography in Scott Pilgrim!


Scott Pilgrim vs. the World! There are SO many movies out there that attempt to take a classic comic book and translate it into a theatrical work of art. Many of them succeed! For instance, pretty much any superhero movie has its roots in the vintage comic book scene. And there is such a successful market in that genre of film. However, I think rarely do we come across a film that truly embodies the classic aesthetic of comic books. This film is one of those. It's a comic book come to life. 

The use of typography in Scott Pilgrim is what really impressed me. Before seeing this film (which, by the way, I had never read the comics before seeing it) I had never heard of the term "Kinetic Typography." When I decided to do some research on the use of type, I kept coming across this term! It's the technical name for the use of "moving text," the animation technique that was so wildly embraced in Scott Pilgrim. Every action or sound was coupled with a comic book-style exclamation. This is what made the movie work for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment